Resource icon

Minutes LVCA-Minutes January 2019 V.1

No permission to download
  • The meetings of the LVCA take place monthly, alternating between the first Saturday of each month and the first Thursday evening of each month. They typically take place at Lawley Academy, but please check before leaving, as the venue can sometimes change.

    The meetings for 2019 are as follows

    Saturday 5th January 9am to Noon
    Thursday 7th February. 7pm to 9pm
    Saturday 2nd March 9am to Noon
    Thursday 4th April. 7pm to 9pm
    Saturday 4th May. 9am to Noon
    Thursday 6th June. 7pm to 9pm
    Thursday 4th July. 6.30pm to 9pm * time changed due to Lawley fete Saturday 6th July - Noon to 9pm LAWLEY VILLAGE SUMMERFEST LVCA stall
    Thursday 1st August. 7pm to 9pm *note change of venue: Horsehay Golf Club,
    Saturday 7th September 9am to Noon
    Thursday 3rd October. 7pm to 9pm
    Saturday 2nd November. 9am to Noon
    Thursday 5th December. 7pm to 9pm

    All are welcome to attend
  • I wanted to make some comments on the recent announcement of funding for Lawley and some of the reactions and to answer some questions. I will try to answer some of them here, but I would encourage residents to come to our monthly meetings, as we really do discuss all these issues and could give you the answers you may be looking for. In relation to the Stewardship Charge itself, I agree that it is like double taxation. We are legally required to pay it and there is a major democratic deficit in how it is governed. In the last year, there has been a significant change in BVT's level of engagement with us and support for our efforts to make changes. It has taken time, but changes are coming which will address your concerns. Over the last year, I have talked to campaign groups, Homes England, submitted evidence to an inquiry by Sajid Javid, spoken and worked with Lucy Allen, MP, the Parish Council, particularly Jayne Greenaway and with Shaun Davies, Leader of the Council and Raj Mehta, Borough Councillor and Mayor. The LVCA is non-political and we have worked with all parties to try to effect change. We welcomed this funding because it will allow us to fix some of the things residents are concerned about. Bringing infrastructure up to standard and improving the environment we live in. It will provide funding to develop facilities for Lawley, but the most important benefit will be their commitment to working with us to transform governance and to change how stewardship works. We hope also that we can work jointly with the Parish council, the LVDG and Homes England on these changes. I know some residents would like to see the scheme scrapped. Whilst there may be an appetite to reform Leasehold issues and make some changes to Stewardship schemes, I don’t think there is any realistic prospect of legislation to relieve residents of new developments of the burden of management charges. I live in a Band E house and pay roughly £1,960 including Adult Social Care, Police and Fire. On top, we pay a Parish Council Precept of £120 and a Stewardship Charge of £250. It is a lot and we will only change things if we get involved. The Parish Council has a budget of roughly £450K and Stewardship £425K but both budgets will increase significantly over the next few years, as the estate continues its rapid growth. Lawley is a great place to live, but we do have problems. There are quality issues, problems with infrastructure maintenance, adoption of the roads by TWC, costs and control over stewardship, lack of dedicated community facilities, etc. These problems involve lots of agencies including Homes England, Lawley and Overdale Parish Council, TWC, BVT and the Developer Group (LVDG). We need clearer lines of accountability and more co-ordination. In the last year the LVCA has been exploring options. We set up community meetings to consult with residents, looked at other schemes, some managed by commercial companies and others by resident groups. We concluded that the best way forward was: 1. Seek to reform the Stewardship Scheme for Lawley to deliver greater resident control over the budget and priorities and to seek to make it a model of best practice in the future 2. To look at the governance structures set up in Lawley and try to bring each of the key stakeholders to work more collaboratively to resolve some of the problems we face It is in that context that we welcomed the announcement of funding for Lawley to support this process. We have had dozens of residents working with the LVCA, working groups and with BVT. We are are working with an Independent consultant to help us to prepare a report to with our recommendations for transformation of the Stewardship scheme. The LVCA will shortly be sending out a survey to all residents asking for your detailed views on the problems and what your priorities are to get this fixed. (The funding for this is coming from BVT’s central costs, not from the local Stewardship scheme). The survey is independent of BVT and the findings will be shared with all residents through our website. The working groups recommendations combined with the survey results will be the basis for reforming the scheme. If you want change, now is the time to engage with the process to making it happen. I cannot go into all the details but there very positive development and opportunities which could have a huge impact on what Lawley will look like in the future. You are welcome to come to the meetings and join us. On the 4th April, the LVCA will have its AGM, from 7pm to 9pm. We will elect the board and would welcome you to stand or participate in any way you can. If you are interested in standing, contact me.
  • Following our community meeting about the future of the Stewardship Scheme, we have begun work on re-designing the Stewardship Scheme. We have 3 working groups which are

    Group 1 Delivery of Stewardship and Charges – Strategic Objectives
    1. To shape the current and future stewardship offer to Lawley residents.
    2. Identify concerns with regard to services and covenants, complaints and enforcement, including practices and procedures in the Stewardship contract
    3. Develop ideas on how to develop service and covenant delivery, which meets the reasonable aspirations of residents
    4. Clarify service charge expenditure, collection and how residents may influence potential spend of service charges
    5. Develop and improve transparency and information flow on service charges and expenditure for all residents

    Group 2 Establish effective working relationship with the Development Group - Strategic Objectives:
    1. To develop a service level agreement with Lawley Developers, which is considered good practice for “large scale development with residents” from start on site, to handover of sites, which enable stewardship to take early control of matters which are important to residents
    2. Clarify accountabilities of Homes England and Developers during the development and retained responsibilities for Lawley, including how residents and stewardship services can influence this, through meaningful engagement
    3. To develop ideas for a living map of stewardship
    4. To increase transparency on all communications and management of resident expectations

    Group 3 Community Development and Involvement - Strategic Objectives
    1. To shape the current and develop the future community involvement offer for residents of Lawley Village
    2. To define the “Heart of Lawley” offer through local amenities, businesses and public spaces, which meets the aspirations of Lawley residents
    3. To consider options for short, mid and long-term governance structures and alternative democratic processes for local influence, dedicated staffing and local control of resources

    If you would like to participate, please email me on chair@lvca.co.uk
    Jim Weir
Lawley Village Community Association Monthly Meeting

Meeting Held:
Lawley Village Academy
5th January 2019 – 09:30am​

Chair
Benedict Croft (BC),
Attendees
Ellen Rose (ER), Colin Hill (CH), Steve Kelly (SK), Fleur Hemming (FH), Dawn Southey (DS), Nicola Paget (NP),
Apologies: Robin Russell, Paul Wootton, Colin Faulkner, John Haywood, Keir O’Leary, Rob Sullivan, Jim Weir, Peter Richmond, Helen Gordon,
Minutes from 03/11/2018
The minutes form the previous meeting were agreed

Action Points from Previous Meeting

Discussion
LVCA Launch - Due to the academy hall not being available for the 23rd of February 2019, it was suggested that as the hall was booked already for the 2nd March that if a short meeting were to be held at 9:30 then at 11am it would be opened to the residents of Lawley for the Launch, FH would get obtain some BVT literature and boards, LVCA Website, Facebook and other advertisement would need to be conducted,
Parish Council Meeting – BC reported that himself and JW attended and the Parish Council were open to a proposal for the Village entry sign’s, BC asked for ER to complete a brief proposal from her collated information that we could take to March’s Parish Meeting.
Meeting with Mayor and Leader of TWC – Update was given that we are still waiting on a new date.

Actions
Person Responsible
Deadline
Proposal for Village signs
Ellen Rose + BC + JW
March 2019

2019 Survey

Discussion
All present voiced their opinions on the survey and in conclusion the draft submitted by the Chairman JW was greeted with approval, Methods of distribution were discussed with some great points raised by NP and after mutual agreement it was decided that the Survey would be advertised on the Lawley Village and LVCA websites to use the survey monkey system due to an expected cost run of £3000 and collation issues, Concerns over no internet / social media users were raised but it was felt with the advertisement that if a resident were to require a paper copy that they could contact BVT, DS kindly offered to collate any paper versions returned,
The original date to have no change, issue out on the 11th January 2019 with closing date 30th January 2019.

Action Items
Person Responsible
Deadline
Survey Money to be created
JW + BC
11th January 2019
Copy given to BVT
JW + BC
11th January 2019
Facebook, website to be updated
JW + BC
11th January 2019

Any Other Business

Discussion
Breaches and Policy – FH confirmed that the new process of reporting is in the final stages of completion and it should be on the BVT website next week all being well.
Lawley Village Academy – ER asked does it cost to hire the Academy hall for meetings as she was under the impression that for community usage for FOC, FW confirmed that there was a charge as well as the cost of the security to open and close the building, she would get the exact costing to us.
BVT Newsletter – FH confirmed that the February 2019 Newsletter would be the last paper version.
Grass Verges & Road Adoption – These items were raised and in the case of the damaged verges either planters or and art object were mentioned as a solution, with the issues of ownership and adoption it was felt that for example reaching out to local collage gauging if a project could be introduced, Mark Kalnins would have to be consulted to see if the developers would be interested and with the publicity and lowering costs this was thought to be a good move,
LVCM Meeting – The date of the next LVMA meeting is the 7th March 2019

Action Items
Person Responsible
Deadline
Costs by the hour of using the Academy as a meeting room
Fleur Hemming
ASAP
If anybody has any contacts at local collage or university please bring to the next meeting for discussion.
All
7th February 2019 Meeting

Conclusions


Action Items
Person Responsible
Deadline
Next meeting 7th February 2019 Chaired by Jim Weir
Meeting will begin at 9.00am for Residents and 9:30am for BVT Officers
Meetings are open to charge paying residents, but please notify Jim Weir chair@lvca.co.uk
Venue: Lawley Village Academy
Jim Weir


Meeting Close
5st January 2018 – 10.38am​
Author
Benedict Croft
Downloads
0
First release
Last update
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings